Black Speaker Series provides advice to South Side youth

Courtesy of Rachielle Scrivens

The Black Speaker Series at the South Side Communication Center help kids find inspiration from local community leaders and activists.

After school, siblings Adrian and Alayna Loften spend most days at the South Side Communication Center Youth Program. But the center gives them more than just time to do homework and color in peace.  

As part of the program’s Black Speaker Series, community leaders are invited to share their own life struggles growing up on the South Side with area kids. 

“Surprisingly, they talked how they were bad in school and how teachers were down on them. Then they proved their teachers wrong,” said Adrian. “Honestly, I thought once you’re bad you’re always bad, but I understand you can turn it around.” 

Started in October 2017, the speaker series invites leaders like Charles Pierce-El, a chess teacher, to give advice to children at the center. For Adrian, Pierce-El not only teaches him chess but also gives valuable advice that resonates with him. Adrian and Alayna said since joining the center their grades and behavior at school has improved. 

Jimmy Oliver, deputy commissioner for the Syracuse Parks and Recreation Department, will speak at the center Wednesday night. He plans to discuss his life growing up with a single parent and the struggles he faced living on the Westside. 

“I think it’s important that (the students) hear a story where I have gone through similar struggles or mistakes,” Oliver said. “My story can help someone, no matter where they come from.” 

Oliver said he hopes to comfort students and remind them that, despite their current obstacles, they can find new creative outlets in their community that keep them in school. He said during his childhood, there were more after-school activities than there are today. Oliver said he will offer the children job shadowing opportunities to inspire them in community service. 

For Rachielle Scrivens, the center’s site coordinator, keeping kids motivated is vital. She believes that when children see people who look and come from the same place they do, they grasp the advice better. 

“People that have grown up on the South Side, gone to these schools, walked these streets and have become successful can come in and share,” Scrivens said. 

gun-violence-centered

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

Scrivens also works to keep the children’s mental health strong. She said students in Syracuse now face anxiety related to gun violence, which she responded to by inviting speaker Clifford Ryans, the founder of OG’s Against Gun Violence — a nonprofit organization aimed to keep students away from gun violence. 

In his speech last year, Ryans demonstrated problem solving without using violence while discussing the severity of gun violence. Ryans said he believes the secure atmosphere helps students flourish in the community and school.   

“We need some leaders to emerge from it,” Ryans said. “That’s the goal, to have speakers come in and have a positive leadership role … to encourage them in community activities and to give them a full positive view of life.” 

Scrivens also asked certified life coach Tyrone Dixon to come speak to students on the importance of mental health in the wake of the gun and teen violence Syracuse has faced. 

“Even though it may not seem like it doesn’t affect them, it does, because then they’re scared and they think, ‘well that could be me just walking down the street,’” Scrivens said. “The community has really wanted to reach out to these kids and inspire them.” 

Since the series started, Scrivens said more community members have come to speak and discuss their own life experiences. Adrian, who said he has struggled in school, has found comfort in knowing people who grew up blocks from where he lived became as successful as he hopes to be.